11 reasons why you should test your hearing
Posted by Larry Otwell, Au.D., CCC-A on November 05, 2019
Hearing loss happens. It’s the third most common health problem for older adults in the U.S., after arthritis and heart disease. Hearing loss is also very treatable — and more beneficial when treatment is started early. If you suspect you have hearing loss, here are 11 reasons why you should schedule a hearing test and find out for sure.
- A hearing test is painless, usually free, and should take less than an hour of your day.
- Untreated hearing loss increases your chance of developing dementia.
- Treating hearing loss early — on the other hand — is one of nine things you can do to help reduce your risk of dementia.
- Hearing loss may be an early warning sign or red flag for other health conditions including cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- If your hearing test shows your hearing is normal, you can say “I told you so” to all the people who said you should get your hearing checked.
- The Mayo Clinic recommends regular, baseline hearing tests for adults.
- Untreated hearing loss increases your chance of falling.
- Treating hearing loss with hearing aids has been proven to reduce the risk of cognitive decline associated with hearing loss.
- Untreated hearing loss is known to contribute to depression and social isolation.
- Hearing loss treatment is associated with delayed diagnosis of Alzheimer’s, anxiety and injurious falls.
- Being proactive about your hearing health today will reap immeasurable benefits tomorrow!